Thursday 12 March 2009

Firstcoach...

Since I’ve started working, I’ve actually gone down to Singapore quite often…in fact, I think I’ve gone more often in the past couple of years than the rest of my life, which is saying something!

Of course, going down by plane is fine when it’s on the company account, but when it’s on personal matters, there are more financially attractive means of making it across the Causeway. Driving into Singapore is just EXPENSIVE and the train stops quite far out of town, so Firstcoach is a great alternative.

Firstcoach was first introduced in November 2004 as a Luxury Executive Express servicing between Malaysia and Singapore. If I’m not mistaken, it was also around the same time Aeroline emerged. While Aeroline has since gone on to extend their route to include Penang, Firstcoach has worked on expanding their existing Malaysia-Singapore route, and in my opinion have done a great job.

When I first started taking Firstcoach back in 2005, everything was run out of their Bangsar branch. Today, Firstcoach has got stops at Novena Square and The Plaza in Singapore, as well as Bangsar and Bandar Utama in Malaysia. I love the latter, since it’s near my house.

The rate is pretty good – RM115 for a return trip, and approximately half price for children. When you arrive at the pickup point, you can expect a welcome drink, as well as a bottle of water and a packet of biscuits at the start of the ride. There is also at least one scheduled 15-minute stop along the way for those needing a toilet break or just to stretch their legs.

As far as seating goes, their seats are spacious and quite comfortable. It reclines quite a way down along with the leg rest – even those with longer legs (or a little bit more in the seat area!) will have no complaints.

However, if I could select one thing that sets Firstcoach apart from the other dozen or so Malaysia-Singapore bus services, it would be their drivers. Over the various trips I’ve taken with Firstcoach, I have never come across any of their drivers who were anything less than friendly and courteous. They’ve cheerfully chatted with the passengers, offered help at every turn and once, even helped me to charge my mobile when the battery died.

Firstcoach installed Video on Demand (VOD) services a while back, which I hear are pretty good. Unfortunately, I didn’t get to try the service out since they were servicing the system.

From what I heard from friends that have tried the VOD, it’s pretty good so I’ll definitely be looking forward to checking it out the next time I head into Spore. Will I continue using Firstcoach? You bet!


Rating: 5 / 5
Value: $$$

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 1:05 pm, March 12, 2009 , Blogger AskMeWhats said...

wow..that's wonderful coach experience :) This is great information to travelers or soon to be travelers :) Like me..I HOPE!!!

 
At 2:03 pm, March 13, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm i have taken aeroline to singapore before, rm160 to-and-fro. service is pretty good too, + food on board. haha. agree that driving to singapore is too exp! we drove to sg once and decided that we shall just take bus next time. hhehe

 
At 2:10 pm, March 13, 2009 , Blogger beetrice said...

askmewhats: hey, no time like the present to come here! :D

prettybeautiful: aeroline is decent enough, but their pick-up/drop-off points are too inconvenient for me (not to mention the ticket's RM45 more expensive!)...hehe...

 
At 8:18 pm, March 15, 2009 , Blogger Syen said...

Helloo! Ooh, thanks for the info on affordable transport to Sg. Hope to try it out the next time I'm headed that way! =)

Wanted to take Aeroline once, but they wanted almost RM100 one way! That was a little over the top, I felt. So I ended taking the train instead. But err.. it took me 8 hrs to get there. o.0

How long did the journey take?

 
At 10:33 pm, March 18, 2009 , Blogger beetrice said...

syen: Aeroline's okay if you want the luxury, but I'd rather spend the difference somewhere else. :)

I also used to take the train, but once I started working can't take so long on the road, so the 5 hours for the bus ride is good!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home