Wednesday 17 December 2008

The Body Shop Holiday Collection 2008 – Sparkling Seductive…

While I was doing a bit of Christmas shopping yesterday (I tell you, I’ve started shopping SO late this year, I wonder if I can finish in time!!) I dropped by my usual Body Shop outlet to replenish my Vit C Skin Boost supply and saw their Sparking Seductive Holiday Collection lineup! The theme this year is to have plenty of sparkle, which is clearly evident in all the products offered.

These are the Sparkle Eye Palettes available that come in a sturdy black shimmery paper box. The lid is held shut with a elastic clasp, and includes a mirror on the inside of the lid.


There are two variants available – Gold & Green, and Blue & Pink

The eye colours contain marula oil which is supposed to be moisturising, and can be applied with a damp brush to give more intense colour. I loved the pattern embossed on the surface of the shadows!


Nice pattern, isn’t it?


Pull-out drawer with applicator

The Sparkle Eye Palettes come with an applicator stored in a pull-out drawer – I found the drawer rather stiff to pull out, but it could be due to it being a brand new case. There’s space in the drawer to slip in a couple of extra brushes and a couple of cotton buds for touch-ups too, and I think you could just about slip in a small lipgloss in there as well.

Of course, in the name of beauty, this collection would not be complete without swatches right? Just look at what I did to my arm! :D

Out of the two palettes, I’m preferential to Set 02 based on colour. However, Set 01 did apply exceedingly smooth onto my skin. I’m loving the texture of the shadows, although their pigment is a tad inconsistent – some of the colours needed a little extra powder to really ‘pop’.

There are also two shades of Sparkle Eyeliner – Starlight and Ocean Green. I was told there’s also Golden Sun which is a yellow-gold shade but isn’t available in Malaysia. The Body Shop has also managed to infuse aloe vera into the mixture of the eyeliner…does that mean I’ll have (literally!) cool eyes when I use it? Hmm…

Of course, what collection would be complete without some Sparkle Lipgloss? Only two shades available locally – Sand Pink and Dusk Rose (it’s called dusk pink on the UK website though)


Swatches of the Sparkle Eyeliner and Sparkle Lipgloss

I found the Sparkle Eyeliner consistency to be a little too watery for my liking, although the colour was quite impressive. Also, it dried pretty solidly (which I found out after trying to remove it from my hand!) so I’ll be giving this one a miss.

As for the Sparkle Lipgloss, I’m loving 02-Dusk Rose as the colour’s perfect for my skintone. It’s a neutral enough shade to work on most skintones, actually – and the glitter isn’t too ‘over the top’. The lipgloss also contains marula oil to add the moisturising factor, which is great. However, I have one big gripe about it…

The gloss comes in a plastic tube with a slant-tip applicator. Granted, you squeeze the tube to get the gloss out, but with the shape of the tube and its pliability, it would be almost impossible to squeeze out the gloss once you get about halfway through the tube since the gloss has a tendency to stick to the bottom of the tube. Also, the cap isn’t very firmly fixed on – high chance of a “oops” spill or leakage.

There is also a Sparkle & Shimmer Powder Puff as well as Sparkle Roller Ball available for plenty of shimmer and sparkle this Christmas, but I didn’t try those out since my hand (not to mention arm) was already full of shimmer and sparkle! :p They looked really nice though…maybe I should go back for another closer look…

As far as prices go, the Sparkling Seductive collection ranges from RM45.00 – RM89.00…not too bad for a holiday selection I suppose.
Sparkle Eye Palette – RM89.00
Sparkle Eyeliner – RM45.00
Sparkle Lipgloss – RM49.90



What do you guys think? Love it/ hate it? :) Share your thoughts!

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At 6:56 pm, December 17, 2008 , Blogger plue said...

i was there yesterday!

i was on my way back when i saw buy 1 free 1!

i think got the mini size of TBS lotion, shower gel and dunno wat else...

I like palette 2 too! Just because of that red colour~ But i din buy cuz it seems powdery?

Ooh! Dusk Rose is lovely too! But i got way too new stuff. can't buy, otherwise connie's smacking me! she's my auditor! :P

 
At 8:30 pm, December 17, 2008 , Blogger Jenn said...

Thanks for the review!! The colors from the eye palette look really nice!! but yeah, TBS eyeshadows really need a bit of help in the pigmentation department!!

The green sparkle liner looks really nice!! Reminds me of the LE MAC peacocky liner which i missed out on! hehe!!

I'd usually skip their Christmas mu collection and head straight for their christmas body range... i love their Cranberry stuff! :D

 
At 9:31 pm, December 17, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is probably the only gold-bronze-olive eyeshadow palette that doesn't tickle my fancy. I'd definitely pick the blue and pick set over the gold and green. The elastic clasp seems a little flimsy though, yeah? What happens when it loses its elasticity after a while?

The lip glosses looked lovely, but again, the packaging sucks.

So it's "nay" from me. I'll stick to buying bodycare products from TBS. :)

 
At 10:39 pm, December 17, 2008 , Blogger Connie De Alwis said...

I like palette no.2! great haul!

 
At 11:47 pm, December 17, 2008 , Blogger AskMeWhats said...

I've never seen these yet! I love looking at the photos and swatches, so I will definitely check it out :) thanks girl!

 
At 9:02 am, December 18, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was at TBS too!!! but in the one-u one. hehe. i love the palette, i think there is some discount with cut-out coupon from cleo this month. i am contemplating to buy, but i dont know if i should since i have so many shadows and i hardly use...dilemma...

 
At 1:48 pm, December 18, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eh why you pixelate the pricetag lah?

 
At 3:43 pm, December 18, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

thx for the swatches of the eyeshadow. i already planned to buy this one, because i got a discount coupon from cleo mag. the eyeshadow palette becomes RM 69...

 
At 3:55 pm, December 18, 2008 , Blogger beetrice said...

plue: i think the e/s looked powdery cos the testers have been knocked around quite a bit - the new ones looked fine. i loved the gloss, but just can't deal with the packaging...

jenn: you're welcome! :) TBS shadows have improved quite a bit in the past year or so - their minerals range e/s were quite impressive. ooo...cranberry...that reminds me, i gotta go dig out that cranberry lipbalm from my bag..hehe..

missmall: i had the same sentiment about the closure, but since it's not made for travelling i didn't find it such a big issue. at least the bodycare products haven't let me down yet! :)

connie: hehe...what haul? i just 'prettied' up my arms in the store!! LOL...

askmewhats: when are you going to make it here?!?! there's so much to show you!!

prettybeautiful: ooo...there is? gotta go check that out..but i don't think i can buy any more this year..sigh...

tine: odd request from one of the staff...

anonymous: thanks for the tip! dang, you just made it sound more tempting..hehe...

 
At 2:23 pm, December 20, 2008 , Blogger Syen said...

Hey Bee! I was in TBS the other day and got a good look at the palettes. The colours are not bad, but it's kinda chunky, dontcha think?

PS: You've been tagged. =P

 
At 6:33 am, December 29, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

geez, stupid me. i thought you had 2 palettes. i did a net search and yours came up so i clicked. sorry about that. i nearly asked if you had an EOTD. LOL.

sorry

 
At 2:48 pm, December 30, 2008 , Blogger beetrice said...

syen: a bit chunky lor, but oh so glam...me lemming!!

jojoba: no worries babe.. :) i loved your take on them too!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home