Monday 21 June 2010

Banana Boat Aloe Vera with Vitamin E SPF30 Sunscreen Lip Balm...

A while back, a rep from Banana Boat sent me a couple of items to try out, which included this lipbalm. Knowing my penchant for lip products, it’s no surprise which one I dug into first. :D



Description:
Banana Boat Aloe Vera with Vitamin E Lip Balm SPF30 is very water resistant, helps prevent sunburn and protects your lips from harsh ultraviolet rays. This all-season lip protector seals in moisture to sooth and protect against dry, cracked, or wind burned lips.


The Verdict:
I’ve always had a thing for lip products, I reckon. From my forever-growing stash of glosses to lippies and lipbalms, I have some firm favourites that I’ll always go back to by default (and surprisingly, many of them are of the more affordable variety…hmm…) Sorry, companies can tout the amazing properties of their products all they want, but at the end of the day for lipbalm? It boils down to how it feels on my lips and how I feel when I wear it. Price-wise, this definitely won’t break the bank as it’s less than SG5.00 (~RM12.00) per tube.


For those wanting to tote this around, you can definitely rest assured that this is not going to suddenly uncap and smoosh itself all over the inside of your bag – as long as you close it properly, that is. Just press until there’s a firm ‘click’ when it’s capped back, and the formula holds up pretty well for our tropical climate.

Most lipbalms are small enough to fit into a back pocket or in a small pouch, and this is no different. One thing you will definitely notice with this lipbalm though, is the smell – I’ve tried asking colleagues and friends as to their opinion on the scent, and haven’t been able to find two that concur yet. One said it smelled like banana, another said ‘some sort of sweet’…you get the idea. To me, it smells exactly like…jellybeans!

Weird, huh? Anyway, the main thing I liked about this is that it comes with SPF30 – but it’s probably only available in this part of the world. Despite it being made in the USA, I couldn’t find any SPF30 varieties online, just those with SPF45. Regardless, SPF30 is quite decent for moderate daily use.

On my lips, the first application went on a little waxy and hard, which I’d attribute it to being a brand new tube. On subsequent uses, the balm does soften just the slightest bit to make application easier, but the texture will remain slightly more towards the waxy feel than the usual lipbalms that have an oilier texture. The Banana Boat lipbalm is meant to be waterproof, so this makes sense.

As for waterproof-ness, it holds fast. I could still feel/taste it after an hour splashing around in the pool near my flat, and it actually forms a perfect base for long-lasting lipsticks since they have a tendency to slide off if you use an oil-based lipbalm.

If I had to find something to gripe about this, it would be that this lipbalm can’t be used ALL the time. Granted, it seals in moisture, but at the same time it doesn’t provide any of its own either. On a long term basis, you can see where this might be a problem. During the day, it’s fine for me as I drink plenty of water but at night before I go to bed, I prefer to use one of my other more emollient lipbalms or plain petroleum jelly to avoid my lips drying out in the airconditioned room.

So, do you have a favourite lipbalm with sunscreen? Have you tried it, and if so, did you love/hate it? Let me know! :)



Banana Boat Aloe Vera with Vitamin E Lip Balm SPF30 is available at most personal care stores and retails for approximately SG$4.95 (it’s about RM11.90 in Msia if I remember correctly).


Rating: 4 / 5
Value: $$$

** Have you entered my 3rd Blogoversary Clinique Happy or Bonanza Giveaway yet? Better hurry - both giveaways close 30 June 2010! :) Click on the links to find out more.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 8:31 am, June 22, 2010 , Anonymous Foong Jin said...

The only lipbalm with sunscreen which I've tried is Sebamed Lip Defense with Spf 30 and I hated the texture! It just sat on my lips like a film. :( It had some weird chemical smell too, if I remember correctly. I think in general, lipbalms with SPF is quite hard to get used to. :(

My favourite lipbalm is actually the peach flavoured beeswax lipbalm from Daiso :D cheap and moisturising and it smells fantastic! :D

 
At 10:56 am, June 23, 2010 , Anonymous xin said...

i owned this before. I bought it for krabi trip. i agree on the fact that while it really protects lips, it doesn't provide much moisture either.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home