Wednesday 23 July 2008

Suzi’s Steak Corner…

This time around, I went off the beaten track to the heart of Ampang in the search for the perfect steak. Suzi’s Corner is tucked away in a corner of Lorong Ampang Hulu and looks very nondescript, but as I’ve learned, you can never judge a book by its cover.

At first glance Suzi’s Corner looks like any other food court, until you notice the relatively high number of ‘ang mohs’ (Caucasians) and expats frequenting the place. There are a number of different cuisines available, but this time around I’ll focus on its specialty, which is the steak hut.

I had the sizzling tenderloin with black pepper sauce (RM30) which came with a side of French fries and freshly sautéed vegetables. My dining partner strongly advised me to try it medium rare despite my major protests since I usually have my steak medium to medium-well (just in case they under/overcook it).

However, when the steak arrived (medium rare – I was outmaneuvered), it was PERFECT. The juices were sealed in, the steak sliced easily and the centre was pink. I cannot stand those places that dish out a miniscule amount of sauce, so much so there’s no more left by the time you’re halfway through – no issues with this place though. The black pepper sauce was also a good complement, with a very healthy serving.

We also tried the sizzling sirloin steak with brown sauce (RM26) – also excellent and done to perfection, but cannot beat the tenderloin. Also, the cut of meat given plays a part…sirloin cannot compare to tenderloin right?


This needs no explanation…’nuff said.


Big fruit juices are RM6 each – we had orange and starfruit to wash our dinner down. They also serve big bun with butter as a starter, which I liked.

As a warning, you WILL be quite stuffed after a steak at Suzi’s Corner (unless you have a huge appetite, or you don’t eat steak). But how to go without dessert?

We just had to try the fried ice cream in vanilla choc chip. This was a bargain since they only charged us RM2.50 instead of the RM3 advertised on the sign. It’s rare to find a ‘sidewalk’ place that does good fried ice cream since it has to be freshly prepared and eaten immediately. However, this one did not disappoint as it came piping hot with the ice cream still rock solid inside – and held up until we were at least halfway through it before it started to melt. (slight caveat as we may have been greedy pigs and eaten it super fast!)

There are plenty of other options available if you don’t quite feel like steak – naan, satay, murtabak, yong tau foo, chickuteh (the chicken version of ‘bak kut teh’), claypot nasi briyani (gotta try this someday), otak-otak, Italian pasta and chicken wings.

Parking Tip: Park your car just outside Ampang Point Shopping Centre and walk to Suzi’s Corner – parking is a problem at the place itself.


Suzi’s Steak Corner
Lorong Ampang Hulu
(near Ampang Point, off Jalan Ampang)
Ampang, Kuala Lumpur
** Opens daily from 6pm onwards
** Closed on Tuesdays



Rating: 4.5 / 5
Value: $$

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 9:58 am, July 23, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

wah early in the morning looking at the juicy steak.......i want!!! i always forget to tell them how i want my steak to be done, esp when they forget to ask me also. duh.

 
At 10:24 am, July 23, 2008 , Blogger eliz said...

hi beetrice. the steak looks nice..by the way..is the place halal?

 
At 3:21 pm, July 23, 2008 , Blogger AskMeWhats said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!! WOW WOW WOW! it's 3pm and it's breaktime and everyone's asking me what I want for snacks, and I shouted "STEAK!" lol..look what you've done...the photos amazing!! THe food looks AWESOME!!!! You will be treating me and my hubby when we go to Malaysia ok? LOL

 
At 3:30 pm, July 23, 2008 , Blogger Shortcake said...

yummy ... i think i will try this place out if i'm in the area.... looks good :P

 
At 6:26 pm, July 23, 2008 , Blogger beetrice said...

prettybeautiful: aiyoh! hehe...usually medium or medium-well works for me - I find if I don't tell them what I want, the steak usually ends up like charcoal!

eliz: hey eliz! i'm not too sure, actually. there were a lot of malays eating there, but the place also serves wine.

askmewhats: whoaa girl - steak at snacktime? *yum yum* you come here then we talk about the steak treat!! :D

shortcake: heyyy...welcome back!! :)

 
At 8:32 am, July 24, 2008 , Blogger AskMeWhats said...

Ok dear!I will be waiting for it!!!! You're lucky I can't eat a lot for Steaks, but I'll make sure to be SUPER hungry before I visit you *winks*

 
At 1:22 pm, July 24, 2008 , Blogger eliz said...

hye! places that serves wine is fine by me..if u say there were lots of malays eating there..i sure would want to try it.thanx 4 d info. :)

 
At 6:36 pm, July 28, 2008 , Blogger beetrice said...

askmewhats: ahh? you going to starve yourself before coming? geez..don't!! msia got 24hr food - you'll need to stretch your stomach before you get here! LOL!

eliz: if the wine doesn't bother you, then go for it! :) let me know if you like it as much as i did!

 
At 8:21 pm, July 28, 2008 , Blogger AskMeWhats said...

Yes Beetrice, I remembered strolling the streets of KL at around 12am and the stalls are still open and I can't help but eat and eat. Good thing we walked so much that I didn't gain any weight! I missed Malaysia! SWEAR!!!! I told my hubby, again and again, that we have to visit back! We didn't have the chance to tour more of the shopping malls..lol..coz we were so buy at the "computer city" and malls beside the computer city lol I can't even remember the names, but my vision is still clear! It was just like yesterday when I bought 6 pairs of shoes there! lol

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home