Friday 10 February 2012

Keeping track of nail polishes with nail wheels…

I thought I’d save this for a Friday since it would make a fun weekend project. :D

Remember how I mentioned previously that my nail polish collection had grown rather alarmingly over the course of the past few months? Well, the evidence can be seen above...and with that came the problem of remembering what shades I had and an increasing risk of buying the same shade twice (because I gravitate towards them like that). Anyone have the same problem? (please convince me I'm not alone...)

Nail Wheels
The solution? Nail wheels – those wheels/ strips of plastic nails you normally see nail polish swatches on at the shops. Can’t believe it took me this long to actually get them (it was a passing fancy previously, but with the growing number of polishes well, the urgency grew!)

I picked up my nail wheels from a small shop at The Arcade in Raffles Place, but I believe these are quite widely available from the small kitschy beauty equipment shops around. Worst case, you could always try your luck with your regular manicurist. *wink* Mine cost about SG$5.20 for 4 pieces with 12 ‘nails’ each – 48 in total.

After sorting my polishes into piles of colours by hue, I realised I’m quite consistent with my nail polish choices – blue/greens, red, blue/purples and ‘other’ (which includes golds, silvers, crackles and sheer shimmers). Grouping them together also made sense, since I usually pick my polish by hue as well as makes it easier to choose.

The fun part comes in cataloguing all your polishes (there’s a white panel for you to write the colour down beside each nail) and painting them – in this case, I opted to get the white wheels instead of clear ones so that I have a better idea of what they’ll look like on my own nails instead of being slightly translucent.

And voila! After 2-3 coats of each polish per nail and leaving them to dry for about 10 minutes, I have my catalogue of nail polish colours below:

Without flash

With flash

Has anyone else tried this out, or are you planning to? If you have/ are, share! :D

On that note, happy weekend everyone…see you on Monday!

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 4:09 pm, February 10, 2012 , Anonymous rinnah said...

Dang! Now I want to buy and do my own! Ok, project for next weekend! :P

 
At 4:10 pm, February 10, 2012 , Anonymous xin said...

yeay proud of you! won't be doing it or any project to sort colors, coz i am too lazy to start from scratch ><

 
At 4:21 pm, February 10, 2012 , Anonymous Tine said...

I bought 3 nail wheels on eBay but still haven't painted them yet. Looking at yours, I'll do it this weekend :)

 
At 4:22 pm, February 10, 2012 , Blogger Ee Von said...

this is brilliant! def gonna do this! :D

 
At 11:37 pm, February 10, 2012 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is such a fantastic idea! I must make this a weekend project too.

 
At 11:47 am, February 11, 2012 , Anonymous unconventionalgeek said...

I did think of it but just a little slack about it. Hoping the nail polish database I built would suffice ><

 
At 10:31 am, February 13, 2012 , Blogger AskMeWhats said...

I did purchase false nails for the purpose of "Swatching", I at times like to swatch the polish that I recently got but I just got my nails designed so I can't really grab Mr. AMW's hands and paint his fingers right? Well I did int he past and he doesnt' like it! hahahahh :D

 
At 4:11 pm, February 13, 2012 , Blogger beetrice said...

rinnah: hehe yay for enabling! :P

xin: your collection rainbow coloured la, mine have to cos too many similar shades! :S

tine: can't wait to see them! :)

ee von: glad it helped! ;) do share photos when you do yeah?

lyn: hehe I found a way to store them together with my nail polishes too - next round! ;)

unconventionalgeek: your database is awesome! I wanted a colour chart though - more of a visual person ;)

askmewhats: hahaha that's the whole point right? actually mine doesn't mind...as long as there's remover handy! :D

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home