Tuesday 12 January 2010

Operation Declutter Under Way…

So far so good…just over a week into 2010, and I’m holding fast to my resolution to de-clutterise my life. To be honest, I hadn’t done much cleaning at all since the house repainting and renovations were completed in November, and everything is still pretty much in boxes all over the place *sheepish look* but hey, on the other hand now’s a good time to start, right? Remember, the goal was to turn my room into a little oasis… :)

To date, I’ve chucked out three big garbage bags worth of rubbish (and that’s AFTER separating out the stuff that could be given away/ recycled, which was another big box’s worth) but instead of boring you with those mundane details, I’ll skip ahead to last weekend’s project of…the dressing table!

Now, I mentioned in a previous post that the first thing to be done up was the dressing table right? :D The reason for this is because it’s the table I use for my makeup every morning, and erm…looking at the table in the morning wasn’t really inspiring. The photo below says it all (WARNING: Shocking photo ahead!)


Embarrassing, right? *sigh*…during the renovations everything got unceremoniously dumped in a big box and afterwards, things were rather busy so it never really got “unpacked”. The only clear bits you can make out are probably the items that I use on a daily basis!


Nothing like a blank canvas to work with – and I even got to add to the décor! LOL…the caricature on the left was from the Lipstick Gossip event, the overhead nameplate I got from Palm Beach in Los Angeles back in 2005 and my DIY earring holder is on the right wall.

From there, it was a matter of sorting all my stuff into the many storage cases I have (Ikea is such a godsend for these I tell you!) before stacking it up on the table. And the end result was pretty pleasing (to me, anyway!)


Left side: Perfumes and hair accessories
White cases: Jewelry (L) and lip products (R)
Blue cases: Foundation, base, loose powder, blushes (L) and eye colour cosmetics (R)
3-Stack: Sponges, applicators, empty sifter jars, etc
Corner rack: Daily use products
Black case: brushes - picked this up from Stage Cosmetics

I also got a green table mat from Daiso to put on the table just so I won’t get my makeup all over the place or my brushes dirty, plus it’s easy to clean and wash. And there you have it! :D Took me the better part of a day to sift through everything and chuck out old cosmetics, but the payoff was well worth it.

Dunno about the rest of you, but looking at it…now I’m back in the mood to apply makeup…LOL! And on a side note, I never realized just how many eye and lip products I had – they fill up a case each, and even then there’s spillover which went into the black case…eeps!!


But there you go, one section down…next on the list is the bathroom! :D

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

At 5:04 pm, January 12, 2010 , Anonymous xin said...

*clap clap*!!! great effort bee! I am like a nomad now...so all of my stuff are just in a huge pouch, taking out and putting back everyday. LOL.

 
At 5:09 pm, January 12, 2010 , Blogger plue said...

very very neat! and clean! :D

i should be cleaning mine, but the thought of my room not being a permanent home to me puts me off :P

 
At 5:29 pm, January 12, 2010 , Anonymous Tine said...

Bravo! What a great way to start the new year. I'm decluttering too. Sent some clothes and *eeps* bags to Salvos. Next would be chucking old makeup and tidying up the dresser. Then the books, and the desk. Sigh, never ending one, aitelyu :P

 
At 5:39 pm, January 12, 2010 , Anonymous Paris B said...

Looking good! Don't you love those Glis boxes from Ikea?! :D I should be doing a round of spring cleaning too - in time for CNY :)

 
At 5:41 pm, January 12, 2010 , Blogger Jenn said...

Great job Bee!! That's really neat!! And you DO have alot of makeup!!! Please do a makeup collection post!! I'm sure all of us wanna see what's in those boxes!! hehehe!! ;)

 
At 7:53 pm, January 12, 2010 , Blogger Connie De Alwis said...

I'm liking the end result too. Mine still in the works... base makeup and skincare very much cluttered still *sighs* I need a proper dresser...

 
At 8:53 pm, January 12, 2010 , Blogger AskMeWhats said...

wow, you did great!!! Everything went poof super organized! :)

 
At 9:27 pm, January 12, 2010 , Blogger Lavender said...

Wah, I envy you. Your dressing table is so organized now. When will I start organizing mine?

 
At 3:16 pm, January 13, 2010 , Blogger Shortcake said...

Congratulations!!! And from the look of the multiple boxes and cases, you definitely have more makeup than I do! Hmmm, that's really saying something I think :P

 
At 3:17 pm, January 13, 2010 , Blogger Shortcake said...

Oh wait, is the 'black case' what I think it is or not??? ;)

 
At 3:43 pm, January 13, 2010 , Anonymous gio said...

Everything looks so neat and organized! Great job!

 
At 11:27 am, January 15, 2010 , Blogger beetrice said...

xin: not for much longer! :D then i'll expect to see your collection too!

plue: hmm...maybe have something portable instead? then you can just move it when you do.. :)

tine: LOL..I know what you mean by neverending - but still very 'cleansing' for the soul, no? :D

paris b: love the boxes, but wish there were more colours.. :p my entire spring-cleaning project will be ongoing right up to CNY, actually...heehee!

jenn: LOL - trust you to zoom in on the makeup! :p in due time babe...lemme go take some decent pics first yeah?

connie: slow and steady - took me YEARS to get around to this! :p (and even then it's still moving at a snail's pace!)

askmewhats: ermm..that's cos I really did sweep EVERYTHING off the table and start from scratch.. :s unfortunately I won't be able to do that for the rest of the room...sigh... ;)

lavender: thanks! I reckon it's when it simply irritates you too much, cos that's what happened to me! LOL..

shortcake: haha..looks are deceiving, I think - put all of yours in a box and I'm sure you'll have more! :D (and of course the black case is what you think it is - I mentioned it in my post! LOL!)

gio: thanks! dang, all this encouragement is getting me itchy to start the next project.. :D

 
At 7:39 pm, February 08, 2010 , Blogger Sherry said...

end result I am so pleased I am like you stuff over the place. must head daiso some day!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home