Thursday 10 December 2009

Simple mistake or scam?


Just take a look at the picture above and tell me what’s wrong with it?

I got this from the parking payment machine at Curve last week – the fee was meant to be RM2.00, but when I put in a RM5.00 note, I got RM1.60 back in small change…which was even reflected in the receipt! Erm, correct me if I’m wrong, but how can machines make mistakes to THIS extent? What’s more, it wasn’t an even number which makes it a bit suspicious.

Better yet, when I tried the customer service for help, this was what ensued:

Payment Machine Personnel (PMP): Just go to the exit and they’ll make the correction.
Me: Any exit?
PMP: Yes, any exit also can.

Fine, so I went to my usual exit to claim back the outstanding change. But when I got there, the booth lady gave me another runaround:

Me: I need to claim back the remainder on this – the machine gave me wrong change. (shows receipt)
Booth Lady (BL): Tak boleh, kena pergi exit lagi satu (meaning the exit at the OTHER END of the mall)
Me: But your personnel said I can do it at any exit!
BL: Tak boleh, tak ada borang (no form available)
Me: Apa borang? (what form?)
BL: Kena isi borang untuk claim, pergi exit satu lagi, sini tak ada. (the entire conversation, she had this bored expression on her face that made me want to slap her)

I had already been running late when the problem occurred, so you can imagine by this time I was seriously pissed off. I ended up having to reverse my car and driving to the OTHER end of the parking lot (which I had just driven FROM) and was met with still more nonsense from the booth guy:

Me: (already irritated) Your machine gave me wrong change. (gives receipt)
Booth Guy (BG): Apa? Cakap betul-betul. (apparently he doesn’t understand English at all)
Me: Mesin bagi wang tukar salah!
BG: Haiya, you cakap betul-betul, ini bukan pasal saya. (say properly, this isn’t my problem)

At this point, he just glanced at the receipt and gave me back my change. But the interesting bit started when I asked for the receipt back:

Me: Itu resit tolong bagi balik. (Please give me back the receipt)
BG: Apasal? Mengapa nak ambil balik? Tak boleh! (What’s the matter? Why do you need it? Cannot!)
Me: Aku kena claim untuk parking (I need it to claim for parking)
BG: Tak boleh, kita kena simpan untuk rekod (Cannot, we need to keep it for records)
Me: Habis tu, borang untuk apa? (If that’s the case, what’s the form for?)
BG: Apa borang? Tak ada borang, hanya bagi resit. (What form? No form, just give receipt)
** and the lady at the other exit said she couldn’t process it because she had no forms??
Me: Fotostat pun boleh, asalkan saya ada salinan. (Even a photocopy will do, I need a copy)
BG: Tak boleh fotostat (Cannot photostat)
Me: Macam tu, bagi resit sini, I nak ambik gambar (If that’s the case, give me the receipt, I’m taking a picture of it)
BG: (getting panicky) Mengapa nak ambil gambar? Tak payah ambil gambar! (Why take picture? No need!)
Me: Kalau tak, macam mana nak claim? You pulak nak simpan resit, kena buat macam ini lah! (If not, how to claim? You want to keep the receipt, I have to do this!)

Long and short of it, I ended up taking pictures of the receipt, otherwise there would be no record of this ever happening. And the thing is, it’s not the first time this has happened. I can’t imagine what would happen if I hadn’t requested a receipt – then better still, no record at all to make the claim in the first place!

You might say RM1.40 is not much, but think about it – if everyone just let it go and shrugged it off, how much can be scammed off? 100 cars every day = RM140 extra per day…hardly a pittance! *Grrr…*

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

At 9:23 pm, December 10, 2009 , Blogger LyNn said...

urgh terrible.
honestly malaysia's service is so annoying an inefficient.

i just end up paying rm 3.00 for parking today.
so called public holiday eve.

 
At 8:49 am, December 11, 2009 , Blogger Connie De Alwis said...

bad enough that they're trying to scam us, they have such rude staffs too. Not hard at all to imagine the situation

 
At 9:19 am, December 11, 2009 , Anonymous Blue said...

I hope you sent this to the management and demand an explanation. And I agree with you ... it may only be RM1.40 but:
1. just imagining how much they make off customers per day from these "mistakes" makes me pissed; and

2. it's the principle behind it that's at stake. They cannot be allowed to get away with it.

 
At 9:21 am, December 11, 2009 , Anonymous Blue said...

Oh and it's also a bit "cute" that the 5% govt service tax is the right figure based on the actual parking fee.

Very fishy indeed...

 
At 11:04 am, December 11, 2009 , Blogger Tammy said...

Happened to me before too but not this carpark, it's the machine never give back change at all. Also same thing, they want the receipt. I didn't give. I just honestly told him that this receipt is for my protection, you want a copy u write down the id code or whatever, fill up form. I still want the receipt. They're not afraid until ppl are dam serious and angry.

 
At 11:38 am, December 11, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good that you stood your ground. they probably think that most people will give up due to the hassle and the small amount involved. and the worst part is when they give you that 'sour face' when you actually demand for what is actually yours.

 
At 12:10 pm, December 11, 2009 , Anonymous Sherry said...

I think our parking always need to pay more than others.. not sure if other country got rule like.. holiday need pay more..

 
At 2:57 pm, December 11, 2009 , Anonymous xin said...

wah so terrible. ooops..i am also one of those who will shrug off and save the trouble...

 
At 3:19 pm, December 12, 2009 , Blogger akiki said...

i had the machine probelem before...
it was after new year coundown and we wanted to go home so my friends wpais at one maachne. but there was problem:they paid but the ticket was still the same, no printing on it shown paid.
so we had to go to another machine and pay AGAIN!!!!!!
damn stupid the curve auto-pay machine.. I had never parked there after this...
so glad that u suffered no lost. the are certainly problems with the curve services!!!!

 
At 2:00 am, December 13, 2009 , Blogger CheaYee said...

oh--

first time i heard of this--
but one never know. it might happen to us.

Good that you took the trouble to blog about this.

now i know what to do in future!

 
At 1:26 pm, December 14, 2009 , Blogger charmedcookie said...

hey cuz, mebbe should consider writing to The Curve mgmt and cc the parking mgmt?

 
At 5:54 pm, December 20, 2009 , Anonymous Suzanne said...

Hahaha, bad enough that their parking is much more expensive than 1u yet still ..

 
At 12:04 pm, December 22, 2009 , Blogger beetrice said...

lynn: indeed!

connie: happens almost everywhere..and they'll try to get away with it too!

blue: drafting something out...let's see if they respond...

miu: it's probably just a way for them to remove any evidence hor?

anonymous: i was already running late, but that seriously pissed me off enough to stand there and demand what was mine...doesn't pay to piss me off for sure! :p

sherry: well, I know in Australia and Singapore they charge more on weekends, so it's probably a common practice.

xin: cannot! must go and kick up a fuss, then they'll have to do something about it..

akiki: thanks for sharing your story, just goes to show it wasn't an isolated incident!

CY: hopefully it won't happen to you, but if it does I hope this helps!

charmedcookie: the curve mgmt and parking mgmt are two separate entities...but let's see what happens...

suzanne: not THAT much more expensive than 1U since it's still a flat rate, but it's the principle of the thing!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home