Wednesday 13 May 2009

Benefit Hello Flawless SPF15…

When I saw the latest e-mailer from Benefit touting their Hello Flawless, I decided to drop by the Benefit counter to test it out. Apparently you can use it as either an all-over powder or a cover-up, which is what caught my attention.

Description:
Benefit Hello Flawless SPF15 is the new policy on pretty that can be used either for a sheer finish or as a spot cover-up. This silky powder cover-up glides on naturally sheer and layers beautifully for customized coverage with SPF protection. With 6 shades, it's easy to find your perfect match.

For a sheer, natural finish, sweep “Hello Flawless!” on with your brush. With light, quick strokes, blend from the centre of your face outward. Use over bare skin, moisturiser or primer for a naturally flawless look. For full coverage, apply evenly over entire complexion with sponge. For spot cover-up, pat gently and blend over any areas where you want extra coverage.

The Verdict:
The first thing that struck me (quite literally!) about Hello Flawless is that the case was quite bulky with sharp corners – not good for travelling, but I guess it’ll probably fit well into your makeup drawer given its angles. However, personally I don’t like my products with hard corners.

Part of the reason the case was so bulky is that the Hello Flawless comes with a brush AND a sponge, which is quite different to the other powders I’ve come across. However, as mentioned this makes it travel-unfriendly given the size and angles. Furthermore, the brush isn't very good either, and feels a bit flimsy to the touch.

Texture-wise, the powder’s pretty decent, although it doesn’t particularly stand out among all the other powders on the market. However, the promise of a ‘cover-up’ didn’t fly. The SA literally had to RUB the powder into my skin to cover up slight blemishes – not good! My Revlon New Complexion Powder does a much better job by comparison (and costs a fraction of the price too!)

To be honest, I didn’t see anything that stood out much about this. Granted, it works well as an all-over powder, but it didn’t quite hold up as a cover-up. The only good part about it is the SPF15, but now a lot of pressed powders also pack SPF too.

Is it worth the RM145? Not to me, but maybe it just doesn’t work for my skin. Has anyone else tried this? Share your experience!


Benefit Hello Flawless! SPF15 is available in a 7g compact and retails for RM145 at Benefit counters nationwide (USD34 on the website). There are 6 shades available online, but only 5 have been brought into Malaysia.


Rating: 3 / 5
Value: $

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At 9:01 pm, May 13, 2009 , Blogger Connie De Alwis said...

sucks that it didn't work for you!! I think a lot of BEnefit stuff are like that... they always look promising and then your excitement just gets deflated by the under-achieving performance of the product.... the more low key products seem to work better

 
At 10:51 pm, May 13, 2009 , Blogger Lisa said...

Benefit is just a load of hogwash. It's just too gimmicky... Your review seems to confirm it. :)

 
At 10:14 am, May 14, 2009 , Blogger AskMeWhats said...

Wow..the name definitely makes anyone wanted to purchase this! Who wouldn't want to say "HELLO FLAWLESS?" but girl, thanks for your review!!!! Saves a lot of people money!

 
At 5:04 pm, May 14, 2009 , Anonymous prettybeautiful said...

for that price and gimmick and all and it does not work? eeep. ur post sure helps plenty of people to save their pocket :D

 
At 12:25 pm, May 16, 2009 , Anonymous polkadots(: said...

do you know where i can get benifit stuff in penang? thanks

 
At 5:29 pm, May 18, 2009 , Blogger beetrice said...

connie: some of the products aren't bad, but this one was a dud.. :)

lisa: to be fair, this product didn't work for me but I've seen others that are quite happy with the results. :)

askmewhats: the names of benefit's products are definitely quirky and eye-catching...hehe...

prettybeautiful: it didn't match up to my expectations, that's for sure. that said, i do like their cream shadow/liners so maybe it's just this particular product.

polkadots: hey there, i believe you can get benefit at the parkson in gurney plaza. :)

 
At 10:14 pm, June 08, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

As with everything else in life.. not everything works for everyone. For me, I have a very hard time finding foundations and concealers that I like or don't bother my skin. To make it worse, I usually battle acne.
Hello Flawless, allows me to skip the foundation, use this, get some SPF and look good all day long. No perhaps the package isn't the smoothest or smallest, but it fits in a pocket or purse easily and that is great by me. I have yet to find a makeup that truly lasts all day long without feeling like I had a mask on my face, so if I need to do a small touch up at some point during the day to feel like I have natural skin with my makeup, I am okay with that. I loved this and will definitely buy it again!

 
At 7:32 am, October 11, 2009 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steer clear of this stuff if you have acne prone skin. I use Retin and Duac (prescription products) to manage acne, and usually have it under control. Within three weeks of using this powder, I experienced HORRIFIC breakouts that did not subside until I shelved this stuff. Be warned!

 
At 11:00 am, October 12, 2009 , Blogger beetrice said...

anonymous: thanks for the tip! I guess this will work for some skintypes, but definitely not all. good to try before you buy.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home