Tuesday 3 August 2010

It's all about the bags… :D

Bags, bags, bags…is there anyone out there that doesn’t have one? Big or small, sling or clutch, I betcha every one of you own at least one (err…whether you use it regularly or not is another matter!)


I have a notable bag for every job I ever had…and yes, it’s four… :D How many can you recognize just from the dustbags?

That said, I’m not a bag snob – I do have a rather large number of handbags that I’ve accumulated over the years, but I tend to commemorate my milestones with a significant item (it doesn’t have to be a BIG purchase, even a sentimental item does the job). It just so happened that in the case of bags, they’re linked to my working life! I guess that makes sense, considering I’d need to be earning an income to afford them, right? :p


First up was a Coach White Leather Poppy Demi to mark my first job as a fresh graduate. Being the lowly-paid grunt I was, I didn’t actually buy this – it was a gift from my dad who picked up a Coach each for me and my mum during his business trip.

The story behind this was quite funny – he was in Hawaii for a conference, and it so happened he tagged along with some colleagues to a Coach warehouse sale. Being the loving husband, he called my mum up and asked her if she’d ever heard of Coach. And my mum, being blessedly unaware of brands, thought he’d asked her about…'cockroach'!

That conversation ended once she told him to call me instead, and the rest is history. Can’t do better than this eh? *wink*


The interior of the bag is a gorgeous deep red with a single zippered pocket, while the strap can be converted into a shoulder or wristlet strap. I absolutely fell in love with the red floral poppy accent on the front. My dad may not be too fashion savvy, but this choice was absolutely PERFECT.


Next up – after a couple of years at the local agency, I moved on to a global agency. With that, came the first purchase of a soft buttery leather bag from Oroton in Australia – the Medium Alpine Hobo bag in red!

The Oroton Medium Alpine Hobo was pretty popular among my group as well – Tine has the exact same one (thankfully she didn’t object to me getting the same bag, otherwise I would have had to pick something I didn’t like quite as much!) while Paris has the one in white.


The interior features Oroton’s classic ‘O’ patterned fabric with one zippered pocket and two open smaller pockets which I usually use for my phone and keys.

This bag is a twist on the classic Oroton shape, which combines all the functionality needed in an everyday bag while its attention to detail are perfect – I absolutely fell in love with the tuck and fold magnetic closure.


After Oroton, I had my eyes set on a Radley. Working next to the Robinsons in Midvalley didn’t help, what with their pretty displays and trademark Scottish terrier on the bags. Problem was, it was massively overpriced in Malaysia. Truth be told, if a good friend hadn’t willingly offered to buy and carry it back for me, I probably would have succumbed to the exorbitant local prices sooner or later. Thank goodness when I changed jobs to a local firm, I left the traffic jams of the

As it is, I ended up getting something from the most current collection at the time, which was a Radley Kempsey Hobo bag in pink. It was a bargain at £180 (compared to the >RM1,300 for items that were 1-2 seasons behind in Malaysia)


The slouchy bag with the hidden magnetic fastening just called out to me, as did the stitching. And how could you not love the little touches like this?


Inside the bag is where the Radley really stands out – just check out the patchwork pattern! Also, apart from the similar zippered + 2 open pockets my Oroton had, this one also comes with a separate lanyard clip for my keys. No rummaging around the bag for them anymore!


Of course, I’m sure you all remember that earlier this year I transferred over to Singapore to work (technically, it’s for the same company as my second job, but hey, different country!). All thanks to a GSS shopping weekend with Paris and Pinkelle, I ended up with a Tod’s

While we were wandering about the Tod’s in Paragon, this lilac number just dug its evil tendrils into me. For one, purple is my favourite colour. Secondly, after first touch I couldn’t stop stroking the soft bag…gee, I’m such a sucker for these things! All I did was try it on for size in the mirror, and from then on I was sold.


Again, don’t sell the power of detailing short – I ended up with a G-Bag Bauletto from the Spring-Summer Collection in lilac. This particular collection had a lot of pale colours which were gorgeous.


The interior of the G-Bag is extremely spacious, but couldn’t be more simple with one zippered pocket. Not really practical for someone like me who carries a lot of nonsense in her bags, but this is where my bag organizer – the Roo Carriage – comes in really handy. But that’s for another post… :D


And there you have it – my four most notable bags to date. Not foreseeing any more major purchases for the time being (unless it's a Birkin which is still WAAAY out of my league, or there's something I'd literally gnaw off my arm and leg for...hmmm...) Now I’d love to hear from you ladies…what was your most memorable bag purchase?

Labels: , , , ,

13 Comments:

At 12:14 pm, August 03, 2010 , Blogger Stephanie / Yukaeshi said...

Mine is the Guess Osaka top-zip hobo in black and white! You can say it's my first big (branded) bag purchase ever :D

After that I've gotten a bespoke black leather Cottonfield bowling bag from Sogo KL for a steal, and I have in my possession 2 Roototes (One was way before it even became popular!), a Sisley sling bag and now am using a Lowepro Terraclime 100 (As featured on my blogpost: http://yukaeshi.drachedja.net/2010/07/whats-in-my-bag/)

 
At 1:06 pm, August 03, 2010 , Blogger AskMeWhats said...

I nearly choked when I read "Cockroach" when asked about Coach! that is one cute story!!!!! :) :) :)

I love the Radley bag and tod's too! Actually I want to use them all! YOu have great taste Bee...in bags..and in friends *winks* :P

 
At 1:47 pm, August 03, 2010 , Anonymous xin said...

LOL. now i must ask chai to buy me a cockroach!

 
At 2:39 pm, August 03, 2010 , Anonymous Paris B said...

Ahem! No comment :D But you have a great selection of bags and its great that they commemorate something - as a statement purchase should :) Mine commemorate milestones too - its the only way I'll justify buying them :D

 
At 3:02 pm, August 03, 2010 , Anonymous rinnah said...

I'm aiming for a Coach as my first really truly branded bag... dunno when, but hopefully soon! :)

 
At 3:02 pm, August 03, 2010 , Blogger Jenn said...

I love all your bags!! They're absolutely beautiful!! :D

I'm still hunting for my first bag! I always told myself that i'll get a Speedy 25 before i hit 25, but when i actually went and check it out, i didn't like it as much as i thought i would! So the next item? A 2.55. Thankfully i have until i'm 55 to attain it... :P

 
At 8:12 pm, August 03, 2010 , Blogger Eli said...

Mine is a lovely leather Hidesign bag. Found it at a sale for 50% off and it was the last one left. I thought it was a sign.

I am not an LV or Chanel bag fan but I do want a Hermes Kelly before I die.

 
At 8:21 pm, August 03, 2010 , Blogger Stephanie / Yukaeshi said...

Oh and my first real designer bag has to be a Balenciaga motorcycle/City!

 
At 2:04 pm, August 04, 2010 , Blogger beetrice said...

stephanie/ yukaeshi: LOL...you just reminded me of my Roototes! :D the Cottonfield bowling bag sounds interesting though, always wanted to get one but never found one that suited me.

askmewhats: instead of kids, sometimes parents say the darnest things, rite? :p thanks babe...*wink*

xin: better be more specific, after you end up with some madagascar hissing cockroach pulak!

parisb: why no comment? haha..we're women, everything also can justify for the right reason! :p

rinnah: Coach in SG is crazy popular - seems that every girl here is carrying one. Maybe that means the prices here are also better?

jenn: the 2.55 is gorgeous - let's hope you get it a long time BEFORE you hit 55! :D

eli: welcome to the club of Kelly coveters! I'd like one sometime as well, but my bag obsession is sated...for now... :p

 
At 3:21 pm, August 04, 2010 , Anonymous milktea said...

Hi Beatrice. Coach has factory outlet stores in USA. My Sis used to drop by on business trips to Reston, Virginia (near Washington).

Prices are quite good. US$30 for a sizeable toiletry pouch with monogram. We also have bags, wallets and wristlets but I dunno the prices cause Sis always gifts them to Mum and me! :-D

Lately, they've gotten smart. Now limit to 5 items (max) per customer for Coach monogrammed stuff :-[
No limit on plain leather Coach items.

 
At 8:03 pm, August 05, 2010 , Anonymous Tine said...

LOL at Auntie L's comment on the "cockroach" :P

Darn, too many bags to mention *ahem*; most of which have quite a significance to it.

My first expensive bag would be a black leather short-handled tote by Jasper Conran for Debenhams. It was a replica of the Hermes Birkin, which I wanted so bad but had (still don't have) not the money to buy. I bought this a few weeks before I left UK for good.

I should do a post on this as well :P

 
At 5:23 pm, August 18, 2010 , Blogger Shemah said...

I think the Poppy collection for coach was my favorite and I looooved it so much. It came out just after my mom bought me one after I gave birth to her first grandchild. LOL! :D

But I really really love your Tod's. :) I want one too, one day. I saw an online site at http://www.glampotboutique.com that sells pre-loved items.. and I don't know if it's worth it, but I'm contemplating on getting one from there. what do you think?

 
At 4:35 am, October 23, 2010 , Anonymous Ana said...

Loved this post! Thanks for sharing! My first bag was a cheap purse made in China. Don't remember the brand, but I loved it. Once I bought an Italian leather bag, I couldn't carry anything else. Now I have Italian bags from Prada, Plinio Visona, Paolo Masi, Toscana, and Avorio. My passion for Italian bags led me to start an online boutique dedicated to Italian bags called www.fashionvortex.com. I now look for less known brands, since it is more fun to carry something unlike everyone else has.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home