Sunday 25 May 2008

Revlon Colorstay® Mineral Foundation…

Revlon’s finally released their minerals collection in the wake of the minerals mania flooding the cosmetic market, and I was given a chance to try their foundation and blush a while back. I’ll post up the blush review soon, but today it’s all about the Mineral Foundation – the shade I reviewed was #030 (Light/ Pale).

Description:
Revlon Colorstay® Mineral Foundation is the longwearing, lightweight, flawless face makeup that is food for skin all day and night while remaining comfortable. It contains an exclusive skin-loving Mineral Complex of Rose Quartz, Mother of Pearl and Topaz, and exclusive Colorstay® Technology for up to 16 hours of wear and care.

Directions:
Twist the cap to release a full size brush.
Swirl brush into powder and tap off the excess.
Blend powder evenly all over face in circular motions.

The Verdict:
First off, this foundation claims to be suitable for sensitive, acne-prone skin and oily/ combination skin. This is good since in most instances, wearing mineral makeup on oily skin compounds the problem, making it look like you’ve got an oil slick on your nose. Being one of those unfortunate ones with a chronically oily T-zone (but fortunate enough for it to not seem that way), I was quite impressed by the coverage it gave, as well as the skintone-evening effect.

Most mineral makeup nowadays come with sifters, but these usually end up in a cloud of powder every time you open the jar, which is inconvenient and wasteful. However, the Colorstay® foundation comes with a small ‘plug’ for the sifter that keeps the powder in the lower reservoir when not in use, eliminating that problem. The cap also opens up into a brush, making it an all-in-one item.

I found that the makeup held quite well for about 12 hours (I haven’t had the chance to test it up to its 16-hr claim yet) and only required blotting in the afternoon to get rid of a little shine. However, I did find a fab tip for this – just apply a VERY THIN dusting of baby powder prior to my T-zone before applying the foundation, and I don’t have to blot at all! I’m not too sure how scientifically sound this is, but hey, it works for me. :D Baby powder doesn’t dry out my skin like the other mattefying products available, but absorbs the moisture so that the foundation spreads evenly.

Now for the not-so-good part – the brush was a bit of a disappointment. Although the bristles are relatively soft, and it holds the foundation quite well, the bristles didn’t stay put. After the first application, there were at least 6-7 dropped bristles, and perhaps 10-11 more the next round. This is really not good as you don’t want bristles stuck to your makeup. I gave up using the built-in brush after that and reverted to my own set of brushes.

It’s a pity, because the product really is good. If it hadn’t been for the brush, I’d be completely over the moon (especially since it contains that super-important SPF 10). But then again, it may have just been a faulty unit. If anyone else tries it out, can you let me know if you had the same problem with your brush?


Revlon Colorstay® Mineral Foundation is now available at Revlon counters nationwide. It comes in four shades locally and retails for RM69.00.


Rating: 3.5 / 5 (it would have scored a 4 if not for the brush)
Value: $$

Labels:

13 Comments:

At 7:50 pm, May 25, 2008 , Blogger AskMeWhats said...

aww thanks for the review. When I was looking at the photo, I was thinking "how in the hell would I be able to cover my whole face with that brush???" But that's a good tip about using a baby powder prior to applying foundation, baby powders are mostly allergy tested so it's good for adults as well! I hate the mineral powder flying all over the place that's why I stopped using mmu :) but at least, a company out there would think of a way not to waste mmu, BUT they have to improve their brushes!

 
At 9:43 pm, May 25, 2008 , Blogger Tine said...

Hmm that sounds like a good tip. I'm going to try that out, with the baby powder :)

 
At 10:02 pm, May 25, 2008 , Blogger rinnah said...

I love the idea of a built in brush... hehe. Me is lazy mah. But gosh... just look at the price! I think I'll stick to my tiny sample tubs (which I have yet to finish) of mineral makeup for the time being.

 
At 10:49 am, May 26, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmmm everyone seems to be so over the moon with mineral foundation. but, why doesn't it seem to give me the best coverage? in fact, i found that the layer is so thin that it can't correct my skin tone nicely. any tip for me? :D

 
At 9:21 am, May 27, 2008 , Blogger Shortcake said...

powdered products generally won't score in the coverage department, but all is not lost; this works for me ... use a makeup base or primer prior to the mineral makeup, then use a concealer at selected areas which needs more coverage. Top it with the mineral foundation and the coverage gets better while looking just as natural, hope this helps :)

 
At 10:03 am, May 27, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shortcake: I think u r right, I need a concealer, I usually don't use it. Now, I will js try to see whether it works or not. Now, i have a damn Q. My make up base seems to be too white for me. :( i prob need a darker color foundation or mineral

 
At 2:56 pm, May 28, 2008 , Blogger Makeupfairytale said...

thanks for the review, i was wondering how that foundation would turn out, :)

 
At 8:11 pm, May 28, 2008 , Blogger beetrice said...

askmewhats: Hey Nikki! The brush actually gives quite good coverage for its size, just the bristle problem lor... :)

tine: Yeah, give it a try, it works with my Silk Naturals MMU too!

rinnah: Well...it'll definitely last you a long long time... :) and it took the guesswork out of mixing my own foundation (!!)

prettybeautiful: Shortcake's right - if you're looking for coverage, powder makeup isn't enough. You'd be better off using it as a finishing after applying a thin layer of liquid/ cream foundation.

PS: I think you need a slightly darker foundation if it's too white... :)

shortcake: Hallo! Thanks for the tip too...I'll give it a try the next time my skin decides to act up (fingers crossed that it doesn't though!)

 
At 11:45 pm, May 28, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review Beetrice.

I actualy can't tell a difference in the two pictures, is the difference more noticeable in person?

Prettybeautiful I've found that if I use a concealor brush or a flocked sponge to apply minerals I get much better coverage.

Unfortunately the increase in coverage also depends on the brand.

Bare Escentuals is the only one that I can use to cover my broken capillaries.

 
At 12:39 am, May 29, 2008 , Blogger beetrice said...

makeupfairytale: It's quite decent - you should go try it! :)

sarah: Hey Sarah! The difference is definitely more noticeable close-up. In the pictures, the one on the right is more even-toned. :)

I haven't tried Bare Escentuals yet though...is it really good?

 
At 12:10 pm, August 19, 2008 , Blogger Prudent said...

Great review but would love to see the difference with other brands of mineral foundation make up too!!

 
At 3:32 pm, September 02, 2008 , Blogger beetrice said...

prudent: hey prudent! there's a review on Silk Naturals' mineral foundation as well...bit by bit, I'll get there! :) thanks for the comment!

 
At 12:57 am, July 18, 2010 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi..i know this is a stupid question and all...but i'm kind of new to make-up...i'm 20 years old and this is my first time trying on make up...so anyways..my question is after using this mineral foundation..do you have to apply powder? thanks for the review by the way! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home