Tuesday 15 April 2008

Brushes brushes…

Makeup brushes…there are so many out there, so many brands…which one to choose?!? I must admit, I’ve tried almost everything from professional makeup artist brushes to the generic ones you can find at any pharmacy or beauty store (ie. Guardian or Sasa!), but a girl’s gotta draw the line (geddit? *LOL*) somewhere.

One of my recent ‘covets’ would be Bobbi Brown’s 'Pink Raspberry' Mini Brush Set – it comes with four of Bobbi’s most popular mini brushes – Blush, Eyeshadow, Eyeliner and Lip (with a protective cap) – in a soft zip-around case with pink raspberry interior. This is from her Pink Raspberry collection, which hit Malaysia recently.

I dunno about you, but somehow forking out RM210 (YES, I did ask about the price and NO, I did not mistakenly move a decimal point!) for a set of four mini brushes and a (albeit cute) carry case is something that I just can’t stomach. I’m pretty pragmatic sometimes when it comes to things like brushes. True, you have to get brushes of a certain quality and to an extent, you do get what you pay for…but RM200+ just because it’s ‘Bobbi’?

On the other hand, there are great brushes to be discovered in the lower range cosmetic brands and outlets. Take the travel set I’ve been using for the past couple of years:

Revlon Beauty Shapers ™ Mini Essentials. This was a special set given to me during the Superlustrous restage in 2005, and it’s still going strong after almost three years! The set comes in a handy black roll containing an Eyelash Curler, Tweezer, Lip Brush (with cap), Eyeshadow Brush and Face Brush – made with natural hair.

Admittedly, the more expensive brushes last longer, and are softer on your skin (particularly for eyeshadow and face brushes), but the cheaper versions can't be discounted as well. Just like shampoo - you can buy an expensive bottle of shampoo to use at home, but at the salon, they're using generic stuff on your hair! Can you tell the difference? (now be honest...how many times have you come out of the 'washed-your-hair-with-generic-shampoo' salon just totally in love with your hair? My point exactly.) But that said, don't simply go and buy a RM2.90 brush just because its cheap - the bristles will be falling out before you can say "substandard".

In the end, you don’t always need fancy and pretty to get the job done (although as women, it definitely helps in making a decision!). I’ve found fantastic brushes in Sasa for under RM15, and have tried a RM80+ M.A.C. lipbrush only to find that they were almost the same apart from the bruise on the purse. Right now I've got a Sasa lipbrush in my bag for daily touch ups, and a Clinique one in my makeup kit - both working just fabulously.

I'd like to know if anyone has an opinion to share on this...so leave me a comment, people! :)

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 10:17 pm, April 15, 2008 , Blogger Tine said...

I just love makeup brushes. I could just stock up on them like an artist with paintbrushes :p

But seriously though, there is a difference on the quality of brushes. I've been using mineral makeup for the past 3 weeks (girl, go try Everyday Minerals. It's fantastic), and I bought this long kabuki from them, and I swear it's the BEST I've used. The Body Shop has great brushes too.

Brushes are a great investment. Good quality ones last you for years if you take good care of them. Plus they look SO good :P

 
At 11:58 am, April 16, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

whatever Tine said *giggles* All that said though, I agree with you to an extent. There are good cheap brushes to be found but the majority of cheap brushes we find here are crap (sorry to say). Sasa is an exception because I've found that their natural hair line (slightly more expensive) is quite good for blush/face/eyeshadow brushes. For lip brushes I'd usually say just go for the cheapest you can find because end of the day, its just synthetic and one lip brush is pretty much as good as another. I'd splurge on face and blush and eyeshadow and stinge on the lip. This was meant to be a short comment :P

 
At 5:24 pm, April 16, 2008 , Blogger beetrice said...

tine: Body Shop actually has this mini set I've been meaning to get my hands on...now you've reminded me, I gotta go back there and scout it out...

I love makeup brushes too, but too many and I lose track...scatterbrain that I am!

parisb: SHORT comment? heehee..some of the cheaper brushes are just as good lor, but if it was something like a really good face / blush brush, I'd contemplate getting it... :)

shopaholics anonymous, here I come...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home